Sunday, May 31, 2009

Popcorn Cupcake


Popcorn Cupcake, originally uploaded by ThisWeekInMunchies.

These little handsome devils are a surprisingly easy to make. Actually, I take that back. If you have the steady hands of a the terminator or a newer robot, you might find piping fun and efficient. I, however, do most certainly not find it enjoyable. Okay, maybe it’s not that extreme. My apologies, to the immensely creative proto-humans out there. But I have only advanced over to the stars and shells. My handwriting on paper is atrocious, thank you Word. You’ll have to imagine what my words look like piped out on a dolled up cake. I’ll help with just this one image… it looks confused, as if it landed on the wrong cake.

Huzzah, for cupcake wrappers! The hardest part of this assembled birthday cake was making the cupcake wrappers. Fear not, that’s actually a good thing. I simply measured the cupcake standing up and cut a piece of printer paper (parallel to landscape). Then I pasted on red triangles, and the popcorn labels. Viola, you have a retro popcorn tub.

I made chocolate cupcakes with vanilla buttercream icing. Basic recipe nothing crazy just some butter, confectioner’s sugar, pure vanilla extract, and a tablespoon of heavy cream.

Now let’s add the crazy marshmallows to the mix. You’ll need a half a bag of mini marshmallows for 12 cupcakes. This next part requires a little bit of magic: the Great Munchie will now transform a regular old cylinder-shaped marshmallow into a popcorn. I’ll need a volunteer. You ma’am, please twist the marshmallow into half without breaking it. Lovely. If you would be so kind, and twist the marshmallow into the other direction. (The twists are along the t (cross), in other words, in the middle of marshmallow both horizontally and vertically.) What do you mean it broke? Does it still look like a popcorn? Yay, congratulations. As you can see, the popcorn is a very forgiving shape. Thank you, Orville Redenbacher.


Popcorn Cupcakes, originally uploaded by ThisWeekInMunchies.

6 comments:

  1. Very cute idea and I love the marshmallow popcorn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are ADORABLE! i especially love the liners. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea! I love it! They look really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! What a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this issss sooo ingenious!:)i think i would still prefer the real popcorn though!hehe. altho yours looks absolutely fab:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all the wonderful comments and words of support. Chocolatecup, I had actually considered creating a sweeter popcorn mix (I use 97% Fat Free Microwave Popcorn without Butter and make my own flavorings.) You can also use a chef's torch to warm up the marshmallows, give them a slight yellowish tint and achieve a buttery look. We liked the straight forward simply way best, especially since I was running around quite a bit the day of the party.

    ReplyDelete